my favorite movies of 2002:

(1) About Schmidt

(2) Spellbound

favorite of 2002:

About Schmidt

(Jack Nicholson, Kathy Bates, Hope Davis, Dermot Mulroney, June Squibb. Directed by Alexander Payne.)

Once I am dead and everyone who knew me dies too, it will be as though I never existed. … I know we’re all pretty small in the big scheme of things, and I suppose the most you can hope for is to make some kind of difference. But what kind of difference have I made? What in the world is better because of me?

When Jack Nicholson won the Golden Globe for best actor in a drama, he said in his acceptance speech: “Well, I don’t know whether to be happy or ashamed, because I thought we made a comedy! … Dermot Mulroney, his haircut alone shoulda let you know it was a comedy!”

(How to stream About Schmidt.)


2nd favorite of 2002:

Spellbound

(Documentary. Directed by Jeffrey Blitz.)

A documentary about spelling? Doesn’t that sound boring? Well how about this: it’s really a movie about America.

Corollary.

Corollary. May I have a definition please?

A proposition that follows upon one just demonstrated, and that requires no additional proof. …

Um, does it have to do with, like, a Corolla?

What’s a Corolla?

Uh, I don’t know, like the car?

Stream it on Kanopy or one of these other sites.

Click here for the full list of my favorite movie(s) of each year from 1920 to 2020.

Comments