my favorite movies of 2013:

(1) Blue Is the Warmest Color

(2) Nebraska

(3) Before Midnight

favorite of 2013:

Blue Is the Warmest Color

[French: La Vie d’Adèle – Chapitres 1 & 2]

(Adèle Exarchopoulos, Léa Seydoux. Directed by Abdellatif Kechiche.)

An inordinate amount of attention has been given to the extended sex scenes which led to an NC-17 rating but aren’t the most important part of this 3-hour movie. Blue Is the Warmest Color is about so much more than sex; it’s about life, conversation, food, art, philosophy, anxiety, power. …

What’s your name?

Adèle.

Adèle, pretty name. … Adèle means something in Arabic — I think it means … hope? Love?

No, justice.

I was close.

Stream Blue Is the Warmest Color on Tubi (free with ads), Kanopy, or one of these sites.


2nd favorite of 2013:

Nebraska

(Bruce Dern, Will Forte, June Squibb, Stacy Keach, Bob Odenkirk. Directed by Alexander Payne.)

You told the sheriff that you were walking to Nebraska?

That’s right — to get my million dollars.

What million dollars?

“We are now authorized to pay one million dollars to Woodrow T. Grant, Billings, Montana. …”

“Mega Sweepstakes Marketing”? Dad … they’re just trying to sell you magazines.

It says I won!

So mail it in. I’ll help you.

I’m not trusting the mail with a million dollars!

Stream Nebraska on Amazon Prime or one of these sites.


3rd favorite of 2013:

Before Midnight

(Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy. Directed by Richard Linklater.)

The emotional end of the Before trilogy. (The first two are some of my favorites from 1995 and 2004.)

When I was younger, I just wanted everything to speed up … so I could be on my own, so I could be free from my parents and school and all that shit. You know, I just wanted to close my eyes and wake up and be an adult. And then I kind of feel like that happened, and now I just want everything to slow down.

It’s strange, I’ve always had this feeling, no matter where I am in my life, that it’s either a memory or a dream. …

Me too, I mean, it’s like, is this really my life? Like, is it really happening right now? … Every year I just seem to get a little bit more humbled and more overwhelmed about all the things I’m never gonna know or understand.

That’s what I keep telling you: you know nothing! … But not knowing is not so bad. I mean, the point is to be looking, searching, to stay hungry, right? …

I know, it’s true — I just wish it was a little easier.

How do you mean?

Oh, just to maintain a certain level of passion, you know? I mean, it used to come so naturally. I remember when I was younger, me and all my writer friends, we just felt like we were doing something important, you know, like this was our time. … It just grew out of all this energy, you know, this creativity or whatever ambitions people have. … I think you gotta be a little deluded to stay motivated.

You can stream Before Midnight on Max (leaving after December 2023) or these sites.

Click here for the full list of my favorite movie(s) of each year from 1920 to 2020.

Comments