my favorite movies of 1936:

(1) Modern Times

(2) Dodsworth

favorite of 1936:

Modern Times

(Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard. Directed by Chaplin.)

This farewell to Chaplin’s “tramp” character is mostly silent; talking is done only occasionally by minor characters, and we hear Chaplin’s voice only in a nonsense song. Modern Times starts out as a slapstick lampoon of an automated, mechanized society, and turns into a love story featuring one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard: “Smile.” In the movie we hear the original instrumental version, composed by Chaplin himself. You’ve probably heard this later version sung by Nat King Cole, with lyrics inspired by the movie:

You can stream Modern Times on the Criterion Channel, (with bonus features) or HBO Max. If you don’t subscribe to the Criterion Channel, try a free 14-day trial.


2nd favorite of 1936:

Dodsworth

(Walter Huston, Ruth Chatterton, Mary Astor, David Niven, Paul Lukas. Directed by William Wyler.)

I’m out to make a new life for myself. I’m out to learn how to enjoy my leisure now that Ive retired. I've been doing things that people expected of me always. I want to feel free. I want to sit under a linden tree with nothing more important to worry about than the temperature of the beer — if there is anything more important. … I’m out to see some of the world I haven’t seen, and get a perspective on the USA. Why, I might get to know myself at the same time. I might even get to know my wife.

Stream Dodsworth on Amazon Prime or Kanopy.

Click here for the full list of my favorite movie(s) of each year from 1920 to 2020.

Comments