my favorite movies of 1936:

(1) Modern Times

(2) Dodsworth

favorite of 1936:

Modern Times

(Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard. Directed by Chaplin.)

This farewell to Chaplin’s “tramp” character is mostly silent; talking is done only occasionally by minor characters, and we hear Chaplin’s voice only in a nonsense song. Modern Times starts out as a slapstick lampoon of an automated, mechanized society, and turns into a love story featuring one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard: “Smile.” In the movie we hear the original instrumental version, composed by Chaplin himself. You’ve probably heard this later version sung by Nat King Cole, with lyrics inspired by the movie:

You can stream Modern Times on the Criterion Channel (with bonus features) or HBO Max. If you don’t subscribe to the Criterion Channel, try a free 14-day trial.


2nd favorite of 1936:

Dodsworth

(Walter Huston, Ruth Chatterton, Mary Astor, David Niven, Paul Lukas. Directed by William Wyler.)

I’m out to make a new life for myself. I’m out to learn how to enjoy my leisure now that I’ve retired. I’ve been doing things that people expected of me always. I want to feel free. I want to sit under a linden tree with nothing more important to worry about than the temperature of the beer — if there is anything more important. … I’m out to see some of the world I haven’t seen, and get a perspective on the USA. Why, I might get to know myself at the same time. I might even get to know my wife.

Stream Dodsworth on Amazon Prime.

Click here for the full list of my favorite movie(s) of each year from 1920 to 2020.

Comments